Saturday, September 10, 2011

Conversations about Rainbows

September 10th 2011
I just completed my first week of teaching at The Living and Learning School, a small independent private school located on the stunning island of Haida Gwaii off the coast of British Columbia.  I will be working with a group of delightful five to seven year olds, and look forward to having the most fascinating conversations.  Last week, my teaching partner and friend handed me a lovely little book about rainbows that she found at the thrift store.  On the first day of school, I read the story followed by the question,  "Where do rainbows come from?"  I was intrigued by the flurry thoughtful responses I received.  One five year old girl described prisms, that scattered rainbows on bedroom walls, while others discussed the mist that is left behind after rainfall.  Every child knew that there was a connection between the sun and the rain, and most of them were certain that rainbows had something to do with reflections of light.  They were a little unsure about where all the bright colours came from.  One little boy suggested that perhaps the sun reflected the colours on the ground back up to the sky.  A very creative child considered that the formation of rainbows might have something to do with lightbulbs or an invisible blind that is attached to the clouds.  I began recording my students conversations in order to capture some of their unique ideas and help guide our future explorations.  Next week I will introduce a variety of reflective materials, we will mix paints and dyes, and perhaps begin working on a giant colour collage.  I will continue adding stories, reflections and photographs soon so feel free to stop by!  xxo

No comments:

Post a Comment